Thursday, September 5, 2019

Easy Tri Tip Roast

This came about thanks to trying one of Chef John's recipes (here). It was good, but for our taste we prefer less of a rub on the meat. This is our simple but delicious variation.

1 tri tip roast (I usually get a 1 - 2 lb roast)
Salt
Pepper

Preheat your oven to 225 degrees. I like to lightly grease my roasting pan. Put your roast on a plate and generously salt and pepper both sides. I like to take and get the parts unseasoned by picking it up and mopping up the salt and pepper on the plate with the ends and any parts that missed the seasoning. Put the meat in your roasting pan and put it in the heated oven. Your roast is done when your thermometer reads 130 degrees. For a 1 - 1 1/2 lb roast I cook it for about 45 minutes. For a 2 lb roast 60 minutes seems to be about right. Chef John recommends flipping the meat half way to help keep the heat even and a more consistent cook, so I do that. Let the meat rest (covered) at least 10 minutes and up to 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment